Friday, July 02, 2010

Grill Face

The Wee One has taken it upon himself to scare me to death. I think that has become his newest trick. Once upon the day that Jason was away on a trip and Luka and I were holding down the fort, the Wee began throwing a fit on no substantial foundation. As is our custom on such occasions, I took him to his room, placed him in his crib, and shut the door, giving him a minute to cool down so that we could address the tantrum in a more civilized fashion. During that minute, his wailing stopped abruptly, then came back full force but with a different tone. A very, very different tone. Wondering what had happened, I tried poking my head into his room only to find something blocking the door...it was Luka. Whattt??!?! My heart stopped and my mind spun trying to piece together what had happened.

  • Luka had some strange lines on his forehead.
  • He was out of the crib so he obviously got out somehow.
  • There was a round wet spot on the mat close to his crib
  • His head was sweaty from crying...
He fell out and hit forehead first! You can imagine my dismay and my probing fingers checking to see if anything was broken or if he had any other injuries. He screamed for a while. Cried pitifully for another while. Clung to me for most of the morning, took a nap, clung a little more, then pretty much bounced back into normal Wee mode, happy and kicking a ball around. With lines on his face, of course. Perfectly centered on his forehead. Perfectly vertical lines. Perfectly healthy. Praise God! All of the "could haves" make me shudder, but we are grateful that he got up with no more than a scratch and a bruise. I've been observing the Wee carefully in his crib since the fall. He hasn't attempted any more escapes. Any ideas why?

I made the mistake of asking Luka, "How's your grill?" and commenting on how Luka's forehead resembles the grill of a car, or even just a plain grill. Well. Unfortunately. It stuck. Everyone calls him Grill-Face now. The poor Wee! The lines are fading and soon all will be well with the world and the whole episode forgotten....


This is the mat of impact. Hence the lines on his forehead.



And in other news, Luka is learning to feed himself with utensils now. He insists.





7 comments:

J Yale said...

Poor,poor Luka! I know he's fine. It probably looks worse than it feels. Those kids know how to scare mommy don't they? Miss y'all!!! love ya

Unknown said...

Poor Luka! I know that must have hurt and scared him. And poor Mama--it must have been frightful for you too. I'm glad Jill could give you some advice as to what to watch for. When we spoke on Skype the other night, we couldn't really see the grill like it shows up on these pictures--WOW!

Luka's good with his fork, and still seems to prefer his left hand! He needs to come here so I can help him deal with a right-handed world!

Randy and I miss all 3 of you soooo much! Love, Ms. Ann

Chela said...

We miss y'all too! Less than six more months and we'll be celebrating Christmas together again, if God is willing. Im fine now, but he did give me a good scare. = O

Estigwen said...

Welcome to the school of hard knocks, Don Grill-Face.

Chela said...

Mi parrillita del cielo. = )

Papo said...

Looks like it's Lefty Luka lifting the lucious dindin to his mouth. And he has not lost his voracious appetite in the process. You might consider buying him a small beach shovel. 8>} Kid after my own gut. Way to go Lefty!!

Love Papo

Chela said...

I can't tell yet if he is a lefty or not. I used to think so, and yet sometimes he uses his right hand for primary movements. I guess time will tell.