Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Starving Mute

Wellp. I'm finally on the mend from feeling like I should curl up and die strep throat. It has been a long, agonizing week but I am thankful for six things:

  1. A caring husband who believed me when I cried "It hurts!"
  2. A perceptive 1 year old who would come into my room, climb up on my bed and be content to simply cuddle and smile at me.
  3. Antibiotics.
  4. Directors who gift me throat lozenges.
  5. A baby sitter who cared for the Wee One while I laid in bed wishing I didn't have to lay in bed and feel like death.
  6. The ability to eat and drink again...and feel almost normalbutthatwouldbesevenandIsaidsix.
For three days I ate and drank almost nothing. Swallowing was torture. On the second day I cried through forcing myself to drink three cups of tea throughout the day just to stay hydrated. I was so hungry, and I still had to make food for Jason and Luka, but I couldn't eat one bite of it. Every time I opened the fridge I squelched the urge to scarf something down, anything. Or to even just have a glass of water. Who knew drinking water could hurt so much?

The most awkward part of all was not being able to speak. Yes. Speaking hurt. A lot. And so I didn't. Luka and I got along just fine. I just just grunted and pointed and he responded perfectly, probably wondering what took me so long to learn his language, for goodness sake. With big people, grunting and pointing awarded me only funny looks and less cooperation. Imagine that. After a whole day of silence between Jason and me (in which he could not shake the feeling that I was mad at him. Hah! Poor guy) we both sat on the bed, each on a computer clacking away at e-mails and whatnot. I signed into my skype account and started texting him all of the things I had wanted to say that day. Finally we could talk! I was half hoping he would forget I was in the room and text me back so that I could laugh at him, but he's too good for me. He just responded out loud. Boo. = ]

Now I am better. My throat is less sore and I have had three meals today and was able to chug down a full glass of water all at once. Life is good. And so is God for healing me. Thank you to everyone who prayed for me! You all fill my heart with love and joy.

The pictures I am posting tonight have nothing to do with my being sick, but everything to do with taking advantage of a team-less evening a week or so ago and going to the beach with great friends for a sunset picnic. It was lovely. Just lovely. Why don't we do beautiful things like these more often? But that night, at least, we did.


The Papas


Fanny and Me. She's my pal



Fun Erin


Happy Heather



Gettin' gritty




We tried doing a piggy-back...



...but it didn't work so well, so this is what you get.



We got to see a little rainbow.




A Wee buddy


2 comments:

Mama T. said...

I'm so glad you're well. We should call you Esther, for your three-day fast. Ouch!

I'm glad you know how to enjoy the good things the Lord gives us all. The beach picnic must have been beautiful. Look out, Honduras, 'cause we're warming up for some of the same in November!

Chela said...

I hope so MUCH that we get to go too! It's free for us but we will have to find someone to run the cafe for us while we're gone. Pray we can train someone in time! Someone trustworthy.