Sunday, October 17, 2010

Smack Mah Lips



Let's get back to the fun side of food, and my favorite side....dessert! I'm a sucker for sweets. I know. It shows, right? But I can't help it. I mean, I probably could but the fact remains that I don't want to. Last night we had friends over for dinner and this deliciousness appeared as the grand finale to our meal. It is a recipe that I ripped out of a magazine years ago and stuck into a splattered recipe folder. Key lime pie is one of Jason's favorite desserts, except that he has grown up on the frozen kind you buy at the store. Those kind are really good, but nothing tops homemade anything. Ok, I concede that maybe I might have trouble if I tried to make Reeses peanut butter cereal, but I'm sure you know what I mean. How could fresh lime zest be topped? It can't. As with most things I concoct in the kitchen, I have tweaked this recipe a bit, mostly because some ingredients are not to be found where we live. So here goes. La Receta...

Crust:

1 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs (I grind up cheap coconut cookies instead)
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c slivered almonds (I coarsely grind up whole almonds)
1/2 c clarified butter, melted (clarified meaning that you skim the white floaties off the top of the melted butter)

Filling:
2 cans of sweetened condensed milk
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup store bought lime juice (I squeeze my own, usually about three large limes)
1 tbs fresh lime zest
juice of 1 lime
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325
lightly grease 9- inch, deep dish pie pan
Combine crust ingredients, mix well and press into the bottom of the pie pan and up the sides
combine filling ingredients until creamy and well mixed. Pour into pie crust.
Bake 3o minutes or until set, cool 30 minutes, then refrigerate and serve cold, to the delight of yourself and whomever you intend to bless with such yumminess.

*note: it is ok to taste test the batter before baking. It guarantees your mouth will water and your taste buds will not rest until you sink your teeth into that first cold bite.

Also, you can use your leftover egg whites the next morning to make an egg white omelet, or you can whip it up with some sugar to make a fluffy topping for your pie. Add a little zest and you have a cute dessert to boot.

Don't you just wish you could pick up that fork and dig in?

All my love to you and best wishes for a lovely week ahead.


0 comments: