Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Too Cute


A typical custom among families here is to air out mattresses every so often. You have to understand that most of the mattresses around here are glorified pieces of foam covered with thick fabric, so the act of "airing out" consists in the mattress being slung over a clothes line for most of a sunny day. What is accomplished other than just collecting more dust and grit on the mattress is beyond me, but hey, it has been "aired out" and that is what matters. Luka discovered our neighbors mattress the other day and decided it served just as well as a play tunnel. His little neighbor friend agreed and they took turns passing through it or smack bumping into it.







Who knew smurfs were still around?


This morning I had a lovely life experience, that I hope to remember forever. I was a bit behind timing wise with house duties, which I do with love, not necessarily enjoyment, and washed my clothes a little later than is best for a good sun drying. On a whim I decided to hang them out on the line anyway, even though the sky was clearly gray. I had hung no more than three garments when the "rain breeze" began ruffling the stray hairs away from my ponytail, and I thought, Well shoot. This is a wast of time. And so I began talking with God and asked him if he would please send some strong sunshine, so that all of us could get nice, toasty dry clothes. Our neighbors put their washed laundry out on the line every single day. Yes. They wash every. Single. Day. I kept hanging my clothes and a few minutes later...you'll never guess. God can be so dramatic sometimes. The clouds actually parted right above our house and a blazing sun beat down on my back. Our landlady, who is of a ripe old age, cane out of her house with a few wet blankets slung over her shoulder and hung them to dry. She exclaimed, "What a bright sun just came out! We thought it was sure to rain right now." I told her that I had asked God to send us some nice sunshine and that He did. She stopped hanging clothes, looked at me and said, "What would we do without God in our lives?"



What, indeed?


2 comments:

Mama T. said...

Thank you, God, for this bright sunny caress. Sarah, this post reminds me of Danjo, when as a little schoolboy, he saw one of those startlingly-beautiful black-and-yellow birds on a post between the Luna's house and the end of the classroom building. He looked at me with awed eyes and said in his deep, super-serious voice, "Mama, ISN'T God GREAAAAAT?!!!!?

I've kissed roses, but never leaves. I know of a man who owns a Christmas tree farm outside Bloomington who plays classical music (loudly) to his trees in the middle of the night, in hopes of greater growth. It was okay until our church men tried to have a father-son camp-out in the area and couldn't sleep. 8>/

Chela said...

I bet that was a long night...He should play Christmas songs to the threes. That would make the grow happy