Wednesday, October 01, 2008

What to do?


What is the protocol when you are about to speak to the women at church about helping and teaching their teenagers to abstain from premarital sex, when all of the women you are speaking to had their kids out of wedlock and/or are actively having an affair?

Ummmmm. Right.

So it all started like this. Cecilia (the pastor's wife) and I were talking about the great problems there are in our little community due to premarital sex or affairs within marriages. Almost every family in the community has been touched by one such case or another and sadly, it really IS the norm around here. Just within our little community there are two girls who are ages ten and twelve who are pregnant right now. And many, many more between ages 14 and 18 who are also pregnant. Nearly all of the high school girls are sexually active, and most with men that are way older than they are. Men who have no intentions whatsoever of taking responsibility for their little girl lovers and the resulting babies. It is not uncommon for a family of 10 to have four or five different fathers. In fact, many of the older women try to have as many children as they can with different men because they are guaranteed child support for the first 18 years of their child's life. I could go on and on about the situation and statistics...

So, as Jason and I have been praying about these issues ever since we moved here, I felt the Lord leading me to speak with the young girls of our church and their friends about premarital sex and everything else related. Ceci was very enthusiastic about it but immediately convinced me that I should talk to the mothers first, so that they could be equipped to help their sons and daughters. Ok. First of all, I don't have any kids yet and have no idea or authority on what to tell these women. Second of all, I don't have any kids yet and have no idea or authority on what to tell these women!!! But she insisted. And I relented. So while I was studying the Word and preparing for my grand speech, it hit me like a sock between the eyes that I'd be telling these women to teach their daughters not to do what they are doing! Aaaarghrgrhgrgh. That Ceci. She knew it all along and tacked it off on me to do the sticky work. Ah well. There's nothing I can do about it now but simply speak the truth of God's Word in a loving, non-condemning manner. So how do I do that? I have no choice but to rely fully on the Holy Spirit. So your prayers for me tonight would be well appreciated, thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Sarah. I'm praying for you... God chose a very loving spirit to do that "dirty work", so He must know what He's doing.
-Kirsten

Anonymous said...

I can picture you perfectly in mind my as you lovingly, gently, honestly tackled this opportunity. I'm so proud of you, Sarita.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I bet que vas a tocar a lot of people's hearts...no hay duda q t va a ir super bien ahorita...Un abrazote!

Chela said...

Thank you lovely women for your prayers and sweet words! God really blessed your prayers because it went so well!