Thursday, January 15, 2009

to do

Do “things to do” really ever die down? Ah. No. They just change. We are back, in a NEW home and had an excellent time with an excellent missions team. A group of eleven men from Louisiana came down to volunteer their time and muscles to help fix the project road so that come next rainy season, the road actually holds up during the downpour. It was a blast working with a team of people whom we already know and love, especially when we were able to poke fun at certain people for past experiences, you know having a history with them and all. Heh. They did an excellent job on the road and left us feeling impressed and blessed. Another grand part of the team’s work was their generous willingness to help us move into our new house. Woo hooo!!! The move consisted literally of carrying things across our old yard into our new yard, so with 13 people it took a whole hour and half to accomplish (I did not lift heavy things, I promise). Unpacking, however, is quite another matter and has taken well, let’s say a week and some to do and I still feel like the house is a wreck. Slowly and neatly the job is getting done, but I confess that I’m worn out. It feels like we have been running non-stop for over two months….well, the truth is we HAVE been running non-stop for that long and probably more, but add an extra pound (or two) a week to your growing belly and see how THAT feels. Not the best, I assure you. All I want to do is sit back and prop my feet up on something, but in order to do that I have to unpack the things off of the thing I want to do the propping on. Ugh. Hey, I won’t complain though. My handy husband installed a potential hurricane-inducing fan today that is presently whirring above my head and I am loving it. Single girls out there, look for a handy husband. It turns out to come in…..handy.

It’s nice to be home again, in the comfort of one’s own environment, but I declare that I thoroughly enjoyed every single bit of our trip. The comfort of being with family again was priceless and I am deeply grateful to God for giving us the opportunity to do so. There are moments throughout my day when a particular memory of the trip will linger in my mind and leave me with a secret smile, and then the realization hits that I already ache with missing my family. God please give me of your grace to live without their presence.

Now we are settling into somewhat of a routine, with the full knowledge that it will be greatly shaken in a matter of months due to adorable cooing, midnight screaming, smelly diaper thingies and wonder at new life. The wee one in me is not so wee any more, so says the doctor (and my ill fitting clothes) and may come way sooner than expected. The doctor said he may be fully ready to birth within the next six weeks. Yow. I have some decorating to do. We lived the wonder of getting to see his face during the sonogram, which revealed to us itty bitty’s knack for opening and closing his mouth. Yeah, big deal right? RIGHT! It is to us at least. Haha. It was very cute to watch.

Don quijote (the dog) is fine, Tiki and Taka (the love birds) are fine and Chimi (the vicious cat) is being avoided with some measure of paranoia on our part. Let’s just say he’s no longer welcome on our doorstep and it breaks my heart, but I am determined to stick to our “I will not let this creature bite me or infect my baby one more time” plan. Sigh. Poor Chimi. But as Jason reminds me every time I’m about to give in to his faraway meows, “No one made him bite you and turn vicious.” Sigh. True, true.

Next time you go to Target, remember me.

What guys? You can't take laying 94 culverts in the relentless heat in one day? Pshhh

Learning to cook for so many was an interesting process

I see the moon and the moon...

The gringos played soccer with our church team and WON! Goooool!!!

A guy thing?

Jason and his cousin Ben (otherwise known as "Primo Loco")

Translating a message

It wasn't all work. Some play got done too.

0 comments: