Monday, April 12, 2010

Confinement

The heavy rains have begun. So has the confinement. Unlike when it rains in cities where the worst that can happen to you if you brave the weather is your shoes getting wet, braving the weather here, in my opinion, should win you an award. Wet is nothing. Try something more like soaked, gritty, muddy, squishy, splattered, slick, slimy. To mention a few. Bottom line, going out when it rains here is....unpleasant. And so we don't. We stay in. And stare at each other. And twittle our thumbs. And pick our toes. And stare out the window. Or if you are Luka, out the bars. I found him as you see in the pictures with such an obvious longing to be out, poor little guy. I think he made his sentiments pretty clear.


Mamma, look. The outdoooors.



I want to be there.



Squeeeze. Urgh. Mmph. Ugh.



*sigh...*

2 comments:

Jaime Lee said...

I feel your pain girlfriend!

Papo said...

Yes, I remember the day that after not having rained for nearly 3 months in San Pedro Sula, our 3 little ones begged and pleaded to go out and play in the softly falling rain. Against my better judgment, but feeling the urgency in their whimpering, sad, male voices, I grudgingly gave them permission, all the time watching the ominous black clouds gathering on the horizon.

They were having a ball, playing out by the boulevard in front of our property, when suddenly, CRRRRAAAAACCCCKKK, WHHOOOSSSHHH, BBBOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!! A lightening bolt struck right in the middle of the boulevard not 50 feet from the boys. I never thought I would see anyone walk on water, but I saw those boys, eyes as big as saucers, and feet pumping just as fast as they could churn, running on water.

Well, I didn't want to make it one of those, "See I told you so" moments, so I just asked them if they were having fun.

"DDAA, DDDDAAA,DDDDDDAAAAAADDDDD, we almost got killed. Lightening almost hit us."

It certainly wasn't funny at that moment, and I must admit, when I saw that lightening bolt hit, my heart leaped into my throat. But when I saw the boys speeding toward home, it was one of the cutest, Sunday comic sights I ever saw.

After the storm passed, we went out to the boulevard to see where the lightening had struck. There was a hole in the ground 3 feet in diameter and about a foot deep. All I could do was whisper a grateful "Thank You" to the Lord. It could have been a WHOLE lot worse.

Suck it up, Luka! The storms will pass.

Love,

Papo