Monday, July 19, 2010

Girlie Day


Was it really only a week ago? It feels like ages ago in my weary mind and body, but with most people gone for a few days, we, the girls of ATC summer 2010 had a blissful girls day out. I had almost forgotten what that term even meant. Being that I don't have many close girlie friends here, I haven't had many girls days out since we moved here. Especially not since Luka decided to join our world. So we dropped the Wee off at a trusted friend's house, and fled to a nearby hotel and pool to laze the afternoon away. We kicked up our painted toes on the lounge chairs, sipped on some fruity drinks, and gloried in the peace. Several toucans decided to sing their wistful song to us throughout the day and show off their heavy bright beaks.
While the three interns (Christine, Erin, and Heather) chose to bask in the sun and dip in the pool, Joy and I opted to sit in the shade of the red table umbrella and snicker at the interns' conversations and different reactions to the lush beauty around us. When I say different, I mean different. Here are a few examples:

Erin: Guys, this is the best day I have had in Costa Rica. I mean, a POOL! And the suuun. LOOK! It hasn't even been ten minutes and I already have a tan line. This is awesome. (all this said with a beaming smile, dramatic hand motions, big black sunglasses, long flowing blond hair, and carefully pedicured toes)

Heather: Do you think it would make the owners mad if I did a bomb jump in tha pool? And look at ma feet! I just scrubbed em on the pool floor. They all smooth now. All you need is some good concrete to make your heels smooth. (all this said with a heavy southern accent, bright white smile and energetic posture)

Christine: I feel so relaxed. Thank you God for this sun and this day. I needed this. Isn't God awesome to bless us like this? (all this said with a sweet, semi girlish, semi laid back, relaxed expression)

Joy and I have decided we could publish a smashing successful book by just writing verbatim what these girls say and do. The differences between them are a hilarity to sit back and watch. Popcorn, anyone?

I am tired. So, so tired. But I am grateful that in the midst of all of the busy chaos going on around us, we were able to break away for a small time to rest and laugh.






The view gave us fair warning that our sunny bliss was about to be a curl up and read time


Party's over

2 comments:

Mama T. said...

Sarey, remember the time the guys all went on a trip or somewhere, in Chile, and you and I kicked back and lounged all day on the couch, sipping iced Zuko and watching girlie movies? It's one of my favorite family memories.

Chela said...

Yeah Mom, I do! The guys all went to Diguillín and we rented a bunch of chic flicks and watched movies the whole time. I think we also ate pancakes every night for supper. That was o much fun! I love spending time with you. = )